Long Term Athletic Development: FUNdamentals
As a member of Development swimmers should be able to:
- Attend at least two sessions a week.
- Perform two strokes to ASA standards and can enter and leave the pool safely.
- Have reached a Level 7 stage of the National Plan for Teaching Swimming or equivalent.
- Have sufficient mental and physical development to train at a low level.
- Have a desire to learn to be a competitive swimmer.
- Have a desire to compete at low level competitions e.g. DSC ‘Splash Nights’
The aim of this squad will be to:
- Provide an introduction to low level competition situations.
- Provide an introduction to competition rules.
- Provide a sound base of fundamental skills and techniques across all strokes and skills.
- Introduce basic training skills such as the use of the pace clock and lane discipline.
- Provide aerobic and short sprint training.
- Develop and understanding of the What?, Why?, and How? of swimming.
- Ideally complete a Competitive Start Award.
- To build skills, lane discipline and application following Academy.