Academy 1, 2 & 3
Academy 1, 2 & 3 Squad
Long Term Athletic Development: FUNdamentals
As a member of Academy swimmers should be able to:
- Attend at least one (ideally two) sessions a week.
- Perform two strokes to ASA standards and can enter and leave the pool safely.
- Have reached a Level 5 stage of the National Plan for Teaching Swimming or equivalent.
- Have a positive attitude to training, both technically and physically.
- Have sufficient mental and physical development to train at a low level.
- Have a desire to learn to be a competitive swimmer.
The aim of this squad will be to:
- Provide an introduction to competition rules.
- Provide an introduction to low level competition situations.
- Provide a sound base of fundamental techniques across all strokes and skills.
- Introduce basic training skills such as the use of stroke counting and stroke drills.
- Increase stamina and introduce pace training.
- Provide aerobic and short sprint training.
- Develop an understanding of the What?, Why?, and How? of swimming.
- Ideally complete a Competitive Start Award.